Ancient monuments and buildings are the treasures of one’s land. It reflects the lifestyle and the religious practices of the people of a certain era. Although Columbia City is a comparatively small town, it has a rich heritage with many important historical places to visit. The Hooper House was one of the ancestral historic landmarks of Columbia City. As per the geographical status, the house is located at the southeast corner of Chauncey and Jefferson Streets in the heart of Columbia City.
The house is constructed in an old traditional bungalow style; with the red bricks adding to the charm of the house. This ideal family house is approximately1800 square feet and built in two storeys in a Greek model house, which is equipped with porch and a garden. Nearby to this is located Thomas Marshall’s home, which was later, modified to Whitley County historical Museum. So, people coming to visit the museum can also visit the city’s oldest building.
The house is commonly referred to as Adam Young Hooper House, even today. It was constructed by Adams Y. Hooper, in 1855. Being one of the popular personalities of Columbia City, he was an elected Representative of Noble and Whitley County and had actively participated in politics. He lived in this house with his wife Edith and children. His daughter was also engaged to Thomas R. Marshall, vice president of United States. Such was Hooper’s popularity that his untimely death in 1874 was deeply mourned by the whole county. After Mrs. Hooper death in 1906, the house was vacant for some time.
During the mid 1980s, the wealthy Linvill family, purchased this house. They could see its beauty of the place instead of the collapsed and scuffed exterior walls. The Linvill’s saved the property from demolishing by doing minor repairs. But, later it was donated to People Preserving History (PPH), an organization that saved the historically important monuments of Columbia City and neighboring areas. PPH raised funds for the restoration of the building and made an extensive restoration including foundation repair, brick positioning, painting, etc. thus preserving it as a historical building of Indiana State. After the restoration, the house was open for sale to anyone who wanted to be a part of a rich legacy..