Global and national events all happened somewhere and sometime and historical markers symbolize those places where the events had occurred. But still you can find the richness of history in its local details. One such historical site in Columbia City is the Eel River Battlefield, which finds its place in the history.
Inscription on Eel River Battlefield
The inscription on this marker says that ‘After General William Henry Harrison relieved Fort Wayne, he ordered Colonel James Simrall in September 1812 to prevent further Miami Indian attacks in the area. The Miamis fled as troops destroyed villages, crops, and supplies along Eel River; Miamis then stood to fight a losing battle on this site’.
The Eel River Battlefield was erected in the year 2001, which was installed by the Indiana Historical Bureau and Youth of First Presterian Church. The battle took place during the war of 1812. In the memory of this battle, Eel River Battlefield marker was erected along the roads of Columbia City.
The Eel River Battlefield marker is located near Columbia City, in Whitley County, Indiana. The marker can be found on Paige Road near the Raber Road. It is located at the junction of E. Mowrey, S. Raber and Paige Roads situated at the Eel River Bridge, which can be easily found at north-east corner along the Paige Road. This Paige Road is 2.8 miles away to the south-east of Whitley County Courthouse, Columbia City.
Other Eel River Battlefield markers are also found throughout the roads of Columbia City.